Since our blog is called "Adventures of a Homeschooling Family" I thought it was time to post a little something about homeschooling. In a effort to teach the girls to be keepers of the home I am having each of them cook dinner each week. I know it may sound great, but I actually like to cook. So it is a hard thing for me to give up. I have discovered it is best for me to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible so I don't take over. If I do stay I try to do clean up chores to make things run more smoothly.
Here are some of my goals for the cooking portion of our "Home Economics" Course:
To be able to plan meals based on available ingredients. For example if peppers are on sale they need to know what meals they can cook with them.
How to modify a recipe if you are out of a particular ingredient or family members don't like an ingredient.
Determining the best order in which to prepare food so everything is ready at the same time.
How to double, or triple recipes.
Calculate a price breakdown of the cost of a meal per person.
Utilize cookbooks and the internet to compare recipes and combine them to suit their tastes.
Leah made a Tater Tot Casserole the night before last. Abby made Chicken Pot Pie tonight.They both did an excellent job and the food was delicious. I did help Abby with the pie crust for the pot pie. But only because I have never made pie crust. It was fun learning right along with her. We had some pie crust left over so we put chocolate chips in it and rolled it up and baked it for dessert. It was yummy! I can't wait to taste Maggie's meal.
3 comments:
That's great!
For pot pie and quiche, I use a biscuit recipe. It's great with whole wheat flour too - nice and crispy.
Abby, The Chicken Pot Pie Look Delicious!
-Mattie
They can "learn" over here if they need to!! :)
We're praying for John, and the family.
Post a Comment