Please excuse the mess-- construction underway!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

What to do when they stop taking a nap.

I think Sam and Joe have finally out grown their naps. As evidenced by their lying awake until 11:30. We are finally done with our school year. I therefore have some extra time to spend with the little guys. But I am trying to come up with some things to keep them busy without needing my full attention for the coming year. So my first idea is homemade play dough. This stuff is great. Not only is it cheap but I think it is superior to real play dough in two ways. It doesn't crumble and it lasts longer. So here is the recipe:

Play Dough


1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup salt
food coloring


Mix all ingredients, adding food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until smooth. remove from pan and knead until blended smooth. Place in plastic bag or airtight container when cooled.



               Two happy non-napping boys with their new play dough.

 I will be posting a few more ideas soon.  I would love to hear your ideas about keeping little people happy without TV or too much money!

1 comment:

Meggan said...

Crayons are always a hit. I keep Moriah and Lily at the table while they color so that it won't end up where it's not supposed to. They also sit for a long time just looking at books. The sandbox and pool require some supervision, but not too much involvement.