Please excuse the mess-- construction underway!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Heavenly Hoagies

I decided to make meatball subs for dinner tonight. For those of you who know me from church potluck, I used my famous (Costco) Italian style beef meatballs. In the past I have used hot dog buns. But unfortunately, I had none in stock so I had to improvise. And now I can never go back. These were so delicious. Plus they are 1/2 whole wheat!

I have modified the recipe from: Fast & Healthy Menus for Busy Homeschool Moms, by Marilyn Moll. I'll give you her recipe and put my modification below it.

French Bread

2-1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp. SAF yeast
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. oil
3 cups fresh whole wheat flour
3 cups bread flour or unbleached flour

Mix all the ingredients except the bread flour for one minute in a mixing bowl or large mixer bowl. Then add the bread flour until the mixure cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead for 6-10 minutes or until gluten is fully developed. Allow the dough to rise 15-30 minutes in a covered bowl if time allows.

To shape the loaves: Divid the dough into two parts and roll each portion into a 12"by 15" rectangle. Roll up tightly along the long side. pinch the edges to seal. Place on a greased cookie sheet or in french bread pans sprinkled with cornmeal.

When the shaped loaves double in size, slash the top with a serrated knife 1/4" deep every 2-3 inches. Beat one eggwhite with water until foamy. Use a pastry brush to coat top and sides of loaves with eggwhite mix, Bake at 375 degrees about 25-30 minutes or until brown.

My Modifications:
I have been experimenting with sour dough breads lately so I substituted 1 cup of sour dough starter for 1 cup of water. I also added 1 tbsp. of dough enhancer. Instead of making 2 loaves, I made 12 small hoagie size loaves.

We often eat the French Bread recipe for dinner and it tastes yummy either way!

3 comments:

The Roses said...

I like the poems and I like the hoagies; Great for kids and old fogies!

Erin said...

Thanks for the recipe, they look delicious!!

Meggan said...

They look great! Yummy.