I did not grow up in the South and my mother never made biscuits. Although she did make some wonderful yeast breads. So I feel I have a disadvantage, because I love biscuits. I have tried for years to make them and they are always terrible. I have been driven to purchase the frozen biscuits at the grocery store. Which are in my opinion, straight out of the oven, are close to perfection. But unfortunately, they have the nutritional value of paper. I have finally found a recipe for whole wheat biscuits that I like and is relatively health. So now I can indulge! Here is the recipe in case you share my passion. I usually make a double batch for dinner and we freeze the rest for breakfast.
Buttermilk Biscuits
3 1/2 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
1 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
unbleached white flour
Mix flour with buttermilk to form a thick dough. Cover and leave in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours. Place in a food processor and process several minutes to knead. Blend in remaining ingredients. Remove dough to a well- floured pastry cloth or board and sprinkle with unbleached white flour to prevent sticking. Roll dough to about 3/4 inch thickness. Cut biscuit with a glass place on buttered baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with butter and honey.
I use enough buttermilk to form a thick dough and it is always more than a cup.
I also rarely plan far enough in advance to leave my dough in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours. They still turn out fine. The purpose of leaving it out is to break down the phytic acid in the bran of the grain. This makes it easier to digest.
This recipe is from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
I do have to say that these are not as light and fluffy as the frozen biscuits, but I still really like them!
2 comments:
these sound yummy! i love all your little "disclaimers" at the end!!! :)
we do share your passion for bread around here!!! thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment